Tyler, the Creator net worth: Tyler Gregory Okonma, who goes by Tyler, the Creator, is a rapper and entrepreneur with a net worth of $15 million dollars. Here are 10 things you might not know about him.
1. Tyler, the Creator was born on March 6, 1991. His father, whom he never met, is Nigerian. His mother is of African-American and European-Canadian descent. His family bounced around a lot. Tyler, the Creator went to 12 different schools in total, throughout LA and Sacramento.
2. At age seven, Tyler, the Creator began making album covers, complete with song names and lengths, for his own imaginary music. At 14, he taught himself how to play the piano. He always looked up to Pharrell Williams and Kanye West.
3. Before his career took off, Tyler, the Creator worked at FedEx for about a week and a half. He quit because it was too depressing watching old men push boxes around and be okay with it. After that, he got a job at Starbucks. He liked that job better, and would help himself to cheese danishes during his shifts. However, after two and a half years there, he was fired. He says it’s the best thing that ever happened to him. Outside of work, Tyler, the Creator spent most of his time skateboarding and riding BMX bikes, which he now collects.
4. How did Tyler, the Creator get his name? When MySpace was still a thing, he had a page called Tyler, the Creator (only because he couldn’t think of anything else to call it) where he showcased his drawings, uploaded some of his beats and shared different ideas he was working on. It started to gain momentum and so he just went with it.
5. Tyler, the Creator has three big fears. Going deaf, ’cause then he couldn’t listen to music. Possums, ’cause they look super sketch and aren’t scared of anything. And maggots, ’cause, when Tyler was 10, he had a traumatic experience with Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. After biting into one, he noticed these red and blue dots in the middle of the white cream. Come to find out, two maggots were wiggling their way through his Swiss Roll!
6. Tyler, the Creator was banned from visiting New Zealand, Australia and the UK, thanks to his controversial lyrics. Tyler claimed the bans were because these countries didn’t like their people idolizing a young, rich, confident black man.
7. Tyler, the Creator does not drink alcohol or do drugs. In 2009 he ate a weed brownie and felt like he was going to die, so he said never again. He is open to trying shrooms in the future though—more for self-discovery than to get high.
8. Tyler, the Creator desperately wants to have a son one day. He thinks he’d be the coolest dad. It’s interesting, he said if and when that happens, he would go out of his way to make sure his son does not rap. He’d rather have him play soccer or get into film or build something—anything but rap.
9. Tyler, the Creator is a serial entrepreneur. He’s directed three Mountain Dew commercials. He wrote the theme song for Netflix’s Bill Nye Saves the World. He also owns a clothing company called Golf Wang. (Side note: he hates golf, but just likes the way the word looks.) He hosts a yearly music festival known as the Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival. For several years, he ran an app titled Golf Media, where users could stream various content, including an original series by Tyler himself.
10. Tyler, the Creator does not believe in God. Many of his songs have lyrics that are anti-religion. Early in his career, he was criticized for rapping about violence against women, as well as using homophobic slurs. More recently, he has insinuated that he is attracted to and has even had relationships with other men. It is unclear as to whether he is actually homosexual or just doing it for attention.
Related: Playboi Carti net worth.