Tory Lanez net worth: Daystar Peterson, who goes by Tory Lanez, is a rapper and singer with a net worth of $3.5 million dollars. Here are 10 fascinating facts about him.
1. Tory Lanez was born on July 27, 1992 in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. His mom died of a rare anemic disease when he was 11 years old. His father, a missionary preacher, had to move their family often for his work. Tory spent time in various parts of Florida, Atlanta, New York City and Toronto. At 15, due to bad behavior, Tory was kicked out and had to survive on his own. Looking back, he says that forced him to toughen up and become the man he is today.
2. The first bars he ever wrote were inspired by his cousin whooping him in Madden. After one particular “L,” Tory stormed out to the garage and started writing disses about his cousin. He then made it all rhyme. Afterwards, he noticed how therapeutic the process was. He’s been in love with music ever since.
3. How did Tory Lanez get his name? While in Atlanta, he became friends with a janitor named Hakeem. Hakeem would always comment on Tory’s tendency to run around in the streets, often playing “chicken” with oncoming traffic. In other words, playing in the “lanes.” Then the “Tory” part came from the “tori” in Notorious B.I.G.—one of his top five favorite rappers growing up. 2Pac was his favorite favorite.
4. He’s had a decade-long beef with Drake. It all started back in 2010 when Lanez posted a YouTube video to A) shoot down rumors he was related to Drake and B) said he would pay Drizzy $10,000 if Drake wasn’t feeling his Playing for Keeps mixtape. Drake never responded, which triggered Tory. The two have been verbally sparring ever since.
5. Biebs actually discovered him: “Justin Bieber found me on YouTube and was really trying to sign me. I was like, what the f*ck? Why me? How, of all people, did he find me?” he told The Guardian. But since Bieber was only 16 at the time, the deal fell through. So Bieber’s buddy, Sean Kingston, signed Tory instead.
6. Tory gives his dad a lot of credit for his ability to perform. Watching his father preach throughout his younger years, Tory picked up on subtleties like adjusting the pitch of your voice to have more impact and interjecting wit here and there to keep the audience engaged.
7. Before he became a household name, nobody wanted to sing the choruses on his songs, so he taught himself how to do it by modeling artists like The-Dream. Tory realized that projection and passion were more important than the actual words or even raw singing ability. Now that he can sing his own hooks, Tory believes he has an advantage over those who can only rap.
8. After fulfilling his contract with Interscope Records, Tory received multimillion dollar offers from several other labels, but turned them all down. He believes staying independent—and owning all the rights to his music—is the more lucrative long-term play.
9. During a 2016 concert in Midland, Texas, Lanez allegedly encouraged a full-on riot when a fight broke out during his performance. Venue and concert promoters are planning to sue.
10. Tory has a son, Kai, with an unknown woman. The two are no longer together, but are on good terms. He has dated Kaylin Garcia, who has appeared on Love & Hip Hop: New York as well as Couples Therapy (when she and Joe Budden were on the outs).
Related: Future net worth.