Invert your focus. Say you wanna make $100k/mo. But you’re stuck at twenty. And nothing seems to be working… to getcha unstuck.
Cool, it might be time to stop focusing on $100k/mo and instead switch to a process goal.
Well, for me, that might mean my new goal is to write for two hours a day. See what I’m sayin’? Writing is the process; it’s what’ll get me the result I’m after. ($500k/mo, net, in case you care.)
Why try this?
I’ll give you six reasons:
1) Process goals are all about doing sh*t, instead of dreaming about it.
2) They’re easier to measure. Did I write for two hours today? Yes or no?
3) You’re in control; not the competition, not the economy, not YouTube, and certainly not Kanye West.
4) There’s a “high” you get by being productive. No different than feeling awesome after a tough workout. This feeling, of course, makes you wanna be productive the next day. And the day after that.
5) Strength. Like Arnie says:
Confidence comes from victory, but strength comes from the struggle.
6) Cuz how’s not doing this working out for ya? I think it’s at least worth a try, is it not?